Thursday, April 10, 2008

Tales from the triumph


So I have been reading this book:




And it is mighty good. Tom Barbash referred me to it right before I left CCA and I bought it a while ago (oh back in the days when I had money to spend on 80 dollar books) but have been too swamped to read it until now. Not to say I am not swamped now but my writing is not going anywhere so I thought this will help me get out of this awful fiction block I am in. I like this book because it focuses on craft as well as classic stuff and whatnot. I really need to improve my writing craft and try to become a more literate writer as opposed to being an amature knock-off.
I also have been listening to this album a lot:



Which is Low's The Great Destroyer. Every track in this album is pretty solid, can't think of one that isn't worth listening to. Highlights are California, Death Of A Salesman and Cue the Strings. I started listening to low on Secret Name (which is a great album, for your information) and I would listen to that and Things We Lost In The Fire pretty exclusively until I found The Great Destroyer and Guns and Drums. What I am really getting at here is that Low is great band and you should check them out.

All that said, I'll leave with some Doormat Poems.

Doormat Poem (#46)

The rain expands the door.
My shoe has a hole.
I need milk.

Doormat Poem (#360)

Girl, your butt
makes you
and turns me.

Doormat Poem (#100)

While at the supermarket,
Waiting for passing thunderstorms
A pair of tripping wellingtons
Realized their problems.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pah. I'm sad your leaving the l-j.

I'm glad you like Low. I have one or two albums of theirs, and I've liked it, but never obsessively listened to them.

Question: Are the doormat poems randomly numbered? I've always wondered that...

Anonymous said...

The doormat poems are numbered solidly in my head, but sometimes I get them confused. Outside my head their system of numbering makes little sense. So yes and no.

Anonymous said...

You listened to that song yet?

Anonymous said...

...interesting...